Distributions going smart & bugfixes?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Jan 7 01:00:09 PST 2009

Axel Thimm wrote:

> OK, we (and with "we" I mean packagers for distributions) could very
> well live with such a model - no (sub)minor releases, but a
> semi-official branch to pull hot fixes from. I just don't want to see
> Anders demotivated as w/o his collection of fixes in that branch
> Fedora 10 users would still not be able to do much with smart and it
> would lose some of its fan base.

Most of the Fedora 10 issues were self-inflicted, by allowing
strange packages (like opal) or allowing rpm dependency loops...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/302345
https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/302395

Some were just changes in the rpm or yum metadata "standards",
where those differ significantly from the previous versions.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/263762
https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/302453

But yeah, it needs to be updated to keep up with things like
Python upgrades, and "required" features like mirrors or comps.

And that's even before going into the "desired" features like
PackageKit integration or source package / build system support...