unruly status message

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Sep 8 23:52:54 PDT 2009

Steve Kelem wrote:

> I went to update kde, and got a narrow popup that is too long for the
> screen.
> The message is not useful, as there are no options for me.

Smart doesn't handle the error that occurred, so it only
relays the "raw" error message from the backend (i.e. rpm)

> It looks like the bulk of the messages were due to
> kdebase4-workspace-4.0 being installed instead of the 4.3.1 version.
> Why didn't it offer this as an option when the rest of kde was being
> upgraded?

Smart doesn't handle file conflicts, only file dependencies,
so you need to get your repositories/packages to co-operate.

"kdelibs4-4.3.1-161.1 conflicts with kdebindings3-javascript-3.5.9-47.1"
"libkde4-devel-4.3.1-161.1 conflicts with kdebase4-workspace-
devel-4.0.84-5.1"

Seems that you have at least two major versions (KDE 3 + 4)
and two naming/versioning schemes (repositories?) going on...