Problems with SMART 1.2

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Sep 8 23:52:37 PDT 2009

Steve Kelem wrote:

> While updating channels, I got the following traceback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/util/filetools.py",
> line
> 34, in getFileDigest
>     file = open(path)
>
> TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

See report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/244038

We fixed some Unicode handling issues for Fedora's requires,
but it seems like path handling could use something similar ?

Sometimes running with "LANG=C smart" helps it limp along,
otherwise it might be a temporary failure (with a bad report).

There's some intermittant issues with Progress, for instance,
that are also of a temporary nature and "hard" to track down.

Usually one can work around with a null check here and a cast
to Unicode there, but it would be better to find the origin...