Functioning of 64-bit Smart 1.3 in Mandriva 2010.1

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Tue Aug 24 18:03:30 PDT 2010

Hi,
    I installed Mandriva 2010.1 from their dual arch cd to install the
64-bit version of Mandriva. After installation I then installed Smart
1.3 from their repositories, but I have been unable to get Smart to
function, neither from this point nor after installing kde and gnome
from their repositories. If I have Mandrivas package environment
configured to use their mirrorlist default, starting smart produces a
dialogue complaining of an invalid file format, if I switch Mandrivas
package environment to use a specific mirror instead of the mirrorlist I
can get smart to start up but it will not do any channel updates nor
display its progress bars (the dialogue that would normally show the
progress bars is completely empty), the process that would normally
display the progress bars appears to be trying to perform the required
function (eg: update the list of packages from the synthesis files) but
nothing is actually performed.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can look at to identify what the
problem is?

regards,
Steve