Functioning of 64-bit Smart 1.3 in Mandriva 2010.1

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Aug 28 02:35:49 PDT 2010

Steve Morris wrote:

>> Does running from the terminal with --log-level=debug show more ?
>>
> I ran smart-root --log-level=debug --gui and got the following output
> (also the dialogue that popped up also produced the message  debug:
> Trying to sync urpmi channels), which kind of makes sense because it
> seems that every time smart starts it configures its channels to use
> whichever mirror the urpmi mirrorlist is currently pointing to or uses
> the specific mirror if that is what urpmi is currently set to:
[...]
>   File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/synthesis.py",
> line 138, in load
>     infofile =
> uncompress.Uncompressor.getHandler(self._infofile).open
> (self._infofile)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/smart/uncompress.py", line
> 60, in open
>     raise Error, _("Unsupported file type")
> Error: Unsupported file type

As far as I understand that branch, it is supposed to be able to
open ".cz" files with the GZipHandler. So something is not working.

> Also looking at the directories, the synthesis file is a .cz file
> as it
> always was, but the files list file and info file look to be lzma
> compressed xml files, could this compression be causing a problem?

Smart (trunk) decompresses files separately, before looking at them.
So it's a separate problem. Or at least it *should* have been one...

> Also does smart look at and try to interpret all files in the urpmi
> channel directories, as I have noticed there is also a partial
> download
> info file created by aria2 that would cause problems if it was
> tried to
> be interpreted?

It should look mainly at the /etc/urpmi directory and urpmi.cfg file.
Most downloaders use a temporary filename for partial files, though ?

There's way too many changes in the Mandriva package/branch of Smart,
and no ongoing development. So I've taken over some major features:

- media_info/info.xml.lzma and friends
   https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/mandriva

- urpmi channelsync and urpmi mirrorurl
   https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/urpmisync

Now each branch only does *one* change, and has had test cases added.
So if you could try those and see if they help, that would be great.

# checkout branch and run test case
bzr branch lp:~afb/smart/mandriva smart-mandriva
cd smart-mandriva
make test TEST=tests/urpmixml.txt

You can now run it locally:
PYTHONPATH=. ./smart.py

If you've checked out the branch already, you can do "bzr pull" to
update it. Once it is tested on Mandriva, I'll merge it to trunk...