Smart errors when packages want to prompt for input

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Feb 24 23:15:16 PST 2010

Steve Morris wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have found that when installing packages with smart it appears
> that if the package being installed wants to prompt the user for
> input that smart produces an Error Code 1 failure instead of
> prompting in Ubuntu. Is this a know issue? Synaptic works fine,
> displaying the prompt in it console output and holding the install
> until the requested information is supplied.

Packages shouldn't prompt for input, since there might not BE a console.
Preferrably packages shouldn't print stuff either, for the same reason.

There is the debconf system instead, which should take care of things ?
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-
maintscriptprompt

Which package was it ?

Sounds like it's broken.