synaptic with smart?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Jul 4 02:59:27 PDT 2010

Robert Xu wrote:

> Quick Question. Is it possible to modify Synaptic to use smart as a
> backend? (or has anyone tried it?)

Synaptic is in C++, and it works closely with the libapt library.
Even the RPM port of it (http://apt-rpm.org/) is slightly broken.
It's also closely tied to the GTK+ interface, where Smart works
in both GTK and Qt and other interfaces. And Smart is in Python.

> Because looking at the current smart-gui, I'd rather prefer
> Synaptic to it.

The Synaptic and Smart interfaces are very similar, which is not
too surprising given their history, and some changes are pending
to make them even more similar. Such as the group pane or columns,
are there any other features from Smart missing that you require ?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/387289
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/493630