Bazaar branches for Smart

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Mon Mar 8 06:32:59 PST 2010

Hey David,

> Does it mean I should create a new branch for every issue (+ a 'trunk'
> branch that merges changes from all these 'issue' branches together) ?
> I tend to like this approach, my SVN alter ago is scared and confused
> though...
> Isn't it a waste of Launchpad resources ?

No, it's not a waste of resources, and Launchpad is prepared for
working this way.

That's actually the right way of doing it with distributed revision
control systems in general: you work with a branch for adding a
specific feature, or fixing a specific bug, and then push it up for
contemplation by other members of the team.  If it gets approved, the
branch is integrated into the main line of the project.

Cherrypicking is not a good way of passing changes around.  In fact, a
cherrypick can pretty much be seen as a patch, which is the way things
were done before good DVCS were born.   DVCS allows people to
communicate about working software, and merge working branches into
working branches, with context.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net