Bazaar branches for Smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Mar 6 05:53:10 PST 2010

David Smid wrote:

>> So my best practice is to use it like a "disconnected VCS" rather
>> than a "distributed VCS". And stick to one issue per branch/commit...
>
> Does it mean I should create a new branch for every issue (+ a 'trunk'
> branch that merges changes from all these 'issue' branches together) ?
> I tend to like this approach, my SVN alter ago is scared and confused
> though...

I think so, at least that is what the tedious merger of the
various "sandbox" and "testing" branches led me to believe...

Either you have to merge all of it and back out some revisions,
or you merge some revisions and lose their development history.

> Isn't it a waste of Launchpad resources ?

The branches are "stacking", so most data should be reused.
But I thought so too when converting a patch into a branch.

Launchpad has recently gotten better support for patch files,
so those (bzr diff) can still be used for the small fixes...

But if you do a lp: branch, you can "propose it for merging"
and then it's possible to do "code reviews" and merges of it ?

Maybe someone better accustomed to Ubuntu/Launchpad development
can give some more input, but that's the way I've understood it.