Smart has been added to the Arch User Repository (AUR)

Rehan Khan rehan.khan at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Oct 15 02:56:20 PDT 2010

Ah yes, I had forgotten that. It was a lot of work to work around the fact
that the installation does not help with this.

> > Thus one would be able to pull in what one needs rather than having to
> > delete what one doesn't need. A secondary advantage would be that rpm
> > development would be separated from apt development from arch
> > development etc. However this does seem a lot more work than possibly
> > needed.
>

> And that's an advantage ? It's bad enough having each "distro" version!
>
> Splitting further into each package manager would only make things worse.
>
> > Doing this in the makefile or setup.py etc would be less work but
> > would probably need configuration/support for each distro that uses
> > Smart.
>

> I suppose it could be added to "setup.cfg", under [smart] or something.
>
> Add optional settings for backends, channels, interfaces, and plugins.

Advantage from the perspective that it demonstrates a clean separation
between the backends but your point is also very valid. Aside from the
confusion caused by showing unrelated information in the gui (rpm channel
types on debian, apt channel types on fedora/centos/redhat etc). It's not
very 'smart' :) Would your proposal prevent the issue Xavion mentioned
regarding having to install the rpm package on arch (or more accurately
getting rpm errors because it's not/never will be installed)? Meaning that
having the rpm backend hanging around requires having rpm/rpm python
bindings installed? The only 'fix' I know of right now for his issue is to
actually delete the rpm backend/channels.

Rehan