Smart has been added to the Arch User Repository (AUR)

Xavion xavion.0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 16:23:40 PDT 2010

Hi All

Thanks for all of your detailed replies.  I wasn't expecting to get so much
new information within a few hours.  My responses to each of your points are
listed below them.

Okay, when I said "patch out" I probably meant to say delete the

@Xavion, You could just delete the backends and channels you don't need
> after extracting the tarball/pulling the source and then continuing with the
> install as usual. I think this should work for you.

Advantage from the perspective that it demonstrates a clean separation
> between the backends but your point is also very valid. Aside from the
> confusion caused by showing unrelated information in the gui (rpm channel
> types on debian, apt channel types on fedora/centos/redhat etc). It's not
> very 'smart' :) Would your proposal prevent the issue Xavion mentioned
> regarding having to install the rpm package on arch (or more accurately
> getting rpm errors because it's not/never will be installed)? Meaning that
> having the rpm backend hanging around requires having rpm/rpm python
> bindings installed? The only 'fix' I know of right now for his issue is to
> actually delete the rpm backend/channels.

I just deleted all non-Arch backends and channels, both before and after
installation.  When deleted beforehand, the unwanted files were
unfortunately still installed.  When deleted afterwards, I got the "Invalid
channel type 'rpm-sys'" error message and Smart then quit.

It turns out that I had a leftover "rpm-sys" channel enabled and that Smart
was acting on this, rather than just going by the backends and channels that
were currently installed.  After I disabled this unwanted channel, the error
messages went away and Smart worked properly.

Of course it would be better to be able to install stuff you need rather
> than remove the stuff you don't need as it makes more sense.
>

> I think it is better to install everything and filter in config, but.  I
> suppose it could be added to "setup.cfg", under [smart] or something.  Add
> optional settings for backends, channels, interfaces, and plugins.

Here was a mock implementation I hacked up just now:

> [smart]
> backends = rpm,deb,slack,arch
> channels = True
> interfaces = text,gtk,qt,qt4
> plugins = True
>
> After parsing (where 'True' means *), this ends up as:
>
> backends: ['rpm', 'deb', 'slack', 'arch']
> channels: ['red-carpet', 'arch-dir', 'apt-deb', 'arch-site', 'mirrors',
> 'rpm-dir', 'up2date-mirrors', 'urpmi', 'slack-site', 'rpm-hdl', 'yast2',
> 'deb-dir', 'rpm-md', 'apt-rpm', 'rpm-sys', 'deb-sys', 'slack-dir',
> 'arch-sys', 'slack-sys']
> interfaces: ['text', 'gtk', 'qt', 'qt4']
> plugins: ['aptchannelsync', 'channelsync', 'debdir', 'detectsys',
> 'landscape', 'rpmdir', 'urpmichannelsync', 'yumchannelsync',
> 'zyppchannelsync']

Sounds good. Any reason why the channels and plugins need to be 'True' or
> '*' and not specifically specified like the backends/interfaces? If not
> then
> I guess this would work well. This should solve Xavion's issues, right?
> Just
> specify what you need for your distro and install just what is needed.

The expanded version of this looks to be okay, but I still think it could be
made easier for end-users.  What's wrong with having only one configuration
option, like "system = rpm,deb,slack,arch"?  The Makefile or whatever could
determine which backends and channels to install from the value of this
option alone.