A question about bundling smart with our distribution

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Sep 6 13:44:35 PDT 2010

Sriram Narayanan:

> No one on the Belenix team is a lawyer, and we've all got day jobs
> where we do something else.

Me too. :-)

But all the legalese should be in the LICENSE file (GPL).

> So, we thought that the best thing to do is to simply ask on the smart
> mailing list whether you are OK with us building, linking and
> distributing smart code along with non-GPLd (yet opensource)
> libraries.

I'm fine with it myself, as I've used Smart on both Darwin
and FreeBSD. Neither of which has GPL system libraries...
Smart also runs on Mac OS X and Windows, which doesn't even
have open source system libraries. Smart is still under GPL.

And Python doesn't really "link" in the same way as C/C++ ?

So as long as you contribute any changes you make to Smart...