Smart 1.4.1 Usage in Fedora 17

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Jan 14 12:07:54 PST 2013

Stephen Morris wrote:

> Hi,
>    Having moved from Mandriva 2011 to Fedora 17 as the closest distro I can find to Red Hat 6 which we are using at work, I am trying to use Smart 1.4.1.

Fedora 17 is probably quite a bit newer than it, but OK.
Something like Fedora 12 should have been more equivalent.

> Ignoring a problem that I was getting under Mandriva that is also occurring randomly on Fedora as well, I am trying to get Smart to use the Yum functionality of using delta rpms where possible for updates. The impression I get at the moment is that when Smart downloads the rpms it is downloading full rpms rather than deltas, if that is not correct how do I get Smart to provide the same messages as Yum does in terms of downloading the deltas and informing the user that it is using the delta to rebuild the rpm?

There is no built-in support, and such a fetcher would
have the wrong checksums for .drpm compared to the .rpm

I suppose that one could add it, but it would be a similar
kludge to the Yum groups or the Yum sqlite already abandoned:

https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/groups
https://code.launchpad.net/~afb/smart/sqlite

But basically if you want something that is "bug-compatible"
with what Yum does then you might be better off just using it ?

> I am using Smart 1.4.1 downloaded from your site as Fedora 17 only provides Smart 1.3.1 in their repositories, and if I remember correctly Smart 1.3.1 doesn't provide support for mirror lists which I am using in conjunction with base urls.

Right, the Fedora packaging prefers hardcoding "13.89"...
(rather than use the smart plugin to sync the yum config)

I don't think you can mix mirrorlist and baseurl though ?
If the mirror list is being used, the base url is ignored.