mkinitrd-2.7.2-3.5.1 conflicts with sbin_init

Till Dörges doerges at pre-sense.de
Mon Oct 28 06:33:39 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I'm trying to install always the same set of RPMs and roughly on every 2nd attempt
smart gives me:

--- snip ---
4.9MB of package files are needed. 387.1MB will be used.

Committing transaction...
error: mkinitrd-2.7.2-3.5.1 conflicts with sbin_init
--- snap ---

IOW the set of RPMs I'm trying to install doesn't change and sometimes it works and
sometimes it doesn't.

How would I go about debugging this?

What information would be helpful to you?

My (perhaps wild) guess is that some heuristic for solving dependencies may or may
not work. Can this be influenced via any config option (I didn't find anything that
looked relevant on http://labix.org/smart/config-options) ?

I'm using smart as the package manager for kiwi. The smart version is 1.4.1. I'm
working with openSUSE 12.3 (i586) RPMs and few internally build RPMs. The openSUSE
RPMs shall be installed directly from the openSUSE repos (standard OSS repo and the
update repo). The internal RPMs are available on disk.

Any ideas/hints/... are greatly appreciated.

TIA -- Till
Dipl.-Inform. Till Dörges                  doerges at pre-sense.de
                                  Tel. +49 - 40 - 244 2407 - 14
                                  Fax  +49 - 40 - 244 2407 - 24
PRESENSE Technologies GmbH            Sachsenstr. 5, D-20097 HH
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors       AG Hamburg, HRB 107844
Till Dörges, Jürgen Sander               USt-IdNr.: DE263765024