Smart 1.4.1 error in PCLOS 2014

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Aug 30 04:50:02 PDT 2014

Frater AEC wrote:

> Smart Package Manager 1.4.1 worked well in PCLOS. PCLOS is a APT-RPM rolling release distro. However, in some cases installation or upgrade it presents conflict error:
> erro: file /etc/esd.conf from install of pulseaudio-esound-compat-4.0-6pclos2013.i586 conflicts with file from package esound-0.2.41-2pclos2011.i586
> erro: file /usr/bin/esd from install of pulseaudio-esound-compat-4.0-6pclos2013.i586 conflicts with file from package esound-0.2.41-2pclos2011.i586

Smart doesn't handle the file conflicts, now that "pulseaudio-esound-compat" and "esound" aren't conflicting eachother.

> It ends without completing the installation or upgrade. With "apt-get install" installs without displaying errors. Being pclos rolling release distro some packages only upgrade with the command "apt-get dist-upgrade". And all the packages that need to "apt-rpm dist-upgrade" to upgrade, are those with conflict error in smart. So I'm stuck in apt-get and I can not use only smart in pclos.

AFAIK, apt-rpm hacks around the problem by using --replacefiles or something like that. Think it's called ReInstall "true" ?

> This problem happens to anyone else? Any tips on how to resolve? I can to solve with configuration or is a bug that needs to be reported?

Sounds like packaging issue, with the same file(s) belonging to two different packages at the same time (without a conflict).

There is no option in smart, to have one package overwrite the files of another package. But rpm does have a --replacefiles.

If you want PCLOS to support smart (not sure if they actually do?), you should probably have them change their packaging...