Smart 1.4.1 Hangs When Large Numbers of new Packages

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Jun 16 15:38:06 PDT 2014

Hi,
      I occasionally have issues with smart whereby when I have anywhere
between 300 - 2200+ new packages in channels, smart's calculation of
what needs to be updated/installed when issuing "smart upgrade" appears
to never finish. I have been in the situation where I have left the
calculation running for more than an hour without it finishing. In these
situations I have to use the native Fedora 20 package manager to do the
update, which invariably displays the packages to update almost
immediately. This issue is not unique to Fedora 20, I have had this
issue with every version of Fedora from Fedora 18 plus I have had this
issue with multiple versions of smart up to 1.4.1 under Mandriva when I
was using it.
      Has anybody else seen this sort of issue?

regards,
Steve