How to manage source packages

Lei, Maohui leimaohui at cn.fujitsu.com
Tue Dec 8 17:50:31 PST 2015

Hello anders

Thank you for your reply.

> Not all systems even have source *packages*, some just have files.
> Most have the concept of a build recipe, though. Possibly distfiles.
> But SRPM are pretty specific to RPM. And partly replaced by Git, too.
> Even the source packages are build products, created from the sources.
>
> Anyway, there's nothing like apt-get source or yum-downloader --source. :-(

I think it is still an important capability for a Package Manager.

As you know, yocto manage packages by smart.
As a distro that created by yocto, customer can manage rpm packages by smart.
But there is no method to manage the source packages by smart, such as download, archive and so on.

Does smart has any development plans about how to manage source packages?

I have a plan to make smart support the capability that smart can download source packages and archive them according to license like yocto do for the source packages.

What do you think?

Best regards
Lei