Anyone still using smart ?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Aug 11 11:20:19 PDT 2016

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Snaps are also available on Fedora, and Debian, Arch, etc.

So I've heard, but you still need to install (and start) "snapd" first right ?

Myself I just went with Docker, but I suppose that having choice is good.

Either way, you (the developer) still need to install the packages inside.
So in that way, it seems more similar to what PBI* does with BSD Ports.

Would be nice if it could use some standard (like the OCI), to get along...
Even better would be something simple that didn't require root to operate.

But at either rate, it seems that there are some interesting times ahead. :-)
The glorified "CD images" live on at http://appimage.org/ - forgot to link it.

Maybe there _is_ still a place for smart, even in the new containerized world.
The python could still go on a diet (and that does not mean python3), though.

--anders

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-BSD#Package_management (PBI)