does smart handle proxy authentication

Martin Lubich martin.lubich at gmx.at
Wed Dec 7 13:57:28 PST 2005

hi,

I tried now for some time to figure out how to persuade smart ( using 0.40 by
the way ) to do proxy authentication. After some very cursory look at the
source code i stumbled across a commented block in fetcher.py where urllib2
in conjunction with proxy authentication would be used. The comment states
that authentication requires some additional implemention.

# This is not in use, since urllib2 is not thread safe, and
# the authentication scheme requires additional steps which
# are still not implemented. Also, we need some way to handle
# 206 returns without breaking out.

Is my conclusion correct, that smart does not support proxy authentication in
the current version. And if this holds true, are the any plans as to support
this in future versions ?

regards
martin lubich