does smart handle proxy authentication

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Dec 7 15:44:27 PST 2005

Hi Martin,

> I tried now for some time to figure out how to persuade smart ( using
> 0.40 by the way ) to do proxy authentication. After some very cursory
> look at the source code i stumbled across a commented block in
> fetcher.py where urllib2 in conjunction with proxy authentication
> would be used. The comment states that authentication requires some
> additional implemention.

This is disabled code, which should probably be removed.
completely.  The existent code does support proxy authentication.
You may provide the auth information in the http_proxy environment
variable or in the equivalent http-proxy configuration option
(using "smart config"). In both cases, with the usual http
authentication syntax.

Please, let me know if it works for you.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net