[Fwd: how to init channels]

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Dec 30 07:07:17 PST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:44:44 -0200 Mauricio Teixeira <netmask at webset.net> wrote:

> Some packagers already put that kind of information on smart rpm. For
> example, Guru (SUSE) has this:
>
> /etc/smart/channels/packman-i686-gwdg.channel
> /etc/smart/channels/suse-apt-base-gwdg.channel
> /etc/smart/channels/suse-apt-security-gwdg.channel
> /etc/smart/channels/suse-apt-update-gwdg.channel
> /etc/smart/channels/suser-guru-gwdg.channel
>
> That way, when you first run smart (or after a clean reinstall) it reads
> those files and asks for confirmation if you wish to add those channels.

Just a comment:

When I first installed 'smart' on SuSE, I hand-built channels
equivalent to my apt sources.list file.  Not all the filenames
I created were identical with the five listed above.  Recently
I upgraded to the latest 'smart' level.  The five files you
list above *were* inserted by this recent "install" process
into my /etc/smart/channels directory, despite there already
being files in that directory pointing to the same components
at the same URLs.

Yes, when I first ran 'smart' following this "unclean" upgrade,
it asked for confirmation for the "new" stuff.  I was surprised,
and had to think about it before answering: "no".  Then I found
out that having said "no", there was __NO__ way in 'smart --gui'
to manipulate the extra files still in the /etc/smart/channels
directory.  [Would have had to CLI 'smart channel --add filename'
if I wanted 'smart' to access such a ("removed" status) channel.]
Not wanting any "almost duplicate" files, I simply deleted them.

mikus