[issue18] upgrade cycling between two sets of packages

agforsyth at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Wed Oct 12 02:00:44 PDT 2005

agforsyth <agforsyth at gmail.com> added the comment:

A bit more info:

Concerning the directfb / mplayer conflict: The repo that I had
directfb from updated to an equivalent version as the one from the
other repo, so then the upgraded mplayer matched an updated directfb,
so both versions were newest so there was no more conflict.

I also am able to reproduce an equivalent conflict to the directfb /
mplayer one with gstreamer / gstreamer-tools which existed in two
different repos. One updated it's gstreamer-tools from a lower to
higher version than the other repo, and so I get cycles between the
two repos versions.

This makes it seem that if ever two repositories have incompatible
versions of packages (and one of their dependancies) and one repo has
a higher version of one, while the other has a higher version of the
other, smart will ALWAYS upgrade one package and downgrade the other,
no matter which set you're at.

I think correct behavior in this situation would be to report the
conflict and do nothing. Maybe have an option to upgrade that enables
these but have them disabled by default?