forcing package downgrades

David Asher david.asher at caviumnetworks.com
Wed Apr 19 12:42:43 PDT 2006

Ok, I'm confused -- so I'll go to a concrete example.  The gtk2
package.  smart info gives the following:

Name: gtk2
Version: 2.6.10-2.fc4.4 at i386
 GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user
 interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable for
 projects ranging from small one-off tools to complete application
 suites.

Name: gtk2
Version: 2.8.7-1.1.fc4.nr at i386
 GTK+ is a multi-platform toolkit for creating graphical user
 interfaces. Offering a complete set of widgets, GTK+ is suitable for
 projects ranging from small one-off tools to complete application
 suites.

"smart channel --show updates nrpms" gives:

[updates]
type = apt-rpm
name = Fedora Core 4 - i386 - Released Updates
baseurl = http://dl.atrpms.net/fc4-i386/redhat
components = updates

[nrpms]
type = apt-rpm
name = Fedora Core 4 - i386 - nr production
priority = -1000
baseurl =
http://mirrors.ftp.sciences.univ-nantes.fr/mirrors/www.nrpms.net/apt/fedora-4-i386
components = production

I currently have the nrpms one installed (gtk2-2.8.7-1.1.fc4.nr at i386), I
expected "smart upgrade" to downgrade gtk2 to the one from the updates
channel.  It doesn't.  Why?

I just noticed that the smart info for the nrpms package showed priority
0...  Do I have something cached that needs to be removed so the the
-1000 priority is seen?

Thanks for your help.

David.