Troubles with SMART

Andreas Hanke andreas.hanke at gmx-topmail.de
Sun Aug 27 22:46:00 PDT 2006

Puneit Singh schrieb:
> It all started with YAST package manager breaking down.

The problem with YaST might be easier to fix than you think... But not
on this list.

> Then it said YAST2 package descriptions not loaded. And thus I couldn't
> install new packages. I ran the update and everything. Finally it struck
> to me, may the YAST channels are the cause of all evil. So removed them
> and tried to give the link of SUSE 10.1 cds as the channels. This didn't
> work out.

And now your channel setup is seriously messed up because the very base
channels are missing; no package manager can work correctly without them.

If the yast2 channels don't work for you, you can always use the rpm-md
channels instead.

As a bare minimum, you need at least the channels equivalent to these ones:

[suse]
type = rpm-md
name = SUSE 10.1 OpenSource Repository
baseurl = http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse

[suse-non-oss]
type = rpm-md
name = SUSE 10.1 Add-On Repository with non OpenSource Packages
baseurl =
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/suse

[suse-update]
type = rpm-md
name = SUSE Linux Online Updates
baseurl = http://you.novell.hu/update/10.1

For the latter, there used to be a redirector on download.suse.com
similar to download.opensuse.org, but it doesn't seem to be functional
right now. So you have to use a mirror directly.

Please add these channels, they are missing and needed. The other ones
you currently have are optional extras, so you channel setup is exactly
the opposite of what it should be.

Andreas Hanke