Troubles with SMART

Puneit Singh puneit.singh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 00:20:03 PDT 2006

Hello,
It all started with YAST package manager breaking down. I learned about SMART package manager, and installed it
When I first run it, it asked me few questions to which I said yes yes to all
Then it said YAST2 package descriptions not loaded. And thus I couldn't install new packages. I ran the update and everything. Finally it struck to me, may the YAST channels are the cause of all evil. So removed them and tried to give the link of SUSE 10.1 cds as the channels. This didn't work out.
Then I went to IRC and spent nearly 2 hrs there. All the time got wasted as a solution couldn't be reached. I was made to update, add Smart and what not. But nothing substaintial happened. Then out of frustration I uninstalled SMART and reinstalled it through KPackage Manager.
I am told, there should be 9 channels but there are just 4
These are

puneit at linux:~> smart channel --show
[suse-mozilla]
type = rpm-md
name = Latest mozilla.org packages
baseurl = ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/10.1

[rpm-sys]
type = rpm-sys
name = RPM System

[suse-kde]
type = rpm-md
name = Latest KDE packages
baseurl = http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE:/KDE3/SUSE_Linux_10.1

[suse-kde-backports]
type = rpm-md
name = Current KDE applications
baseurl = http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE:/Backports/SUSE_Linux_10.1

puneit at linux:~>

The output of smart config --show is

puneit at linux:~> smart channel --show
[suse-mozilla]
type = rpm-md
name = Latest mozilla.org packages
baseurl = ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/10.1

[rpm-sys]
type = rpm-sys
name = RPM System

[suse-kde]
type = rpm-md
name = Latest KDE packages
baseurl = http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE:/KDE3/SUSE_Linux_10.1

[suse-kde-backports]
type = rpm-md
name = Current KDE applications
baseurl = http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE:/Backports/SUSE_Linux_10.1

puneit at linux:~> smart config

puneit at linux:~> smart config --show
{'channels': {'rpm-sys': {'alias': 'rpm-sys',
                          'name': 'RPM System',
                          'type': 'rpm-sys'},
              'suse-kde': {'baseurl': 'http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE
:/KDE3/SUSE_Linux_10.1',
                           'name': 'Latest KDE packages',
                           'type': 'rpm-md'},
              'suse-kde-backports': {'baseurl': 'http://software.opensuse.org/do
wnload/KDE:/Backports/SUSE_Linux_10.1',
                                     'name': 'Current KDE applications',
                                     'type': 'rpm-md'},
              'suse-mozilla': {'baseurl': 'ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozil
la/10.1',
                               'name': 'Latest mozilla.org packages',
                               'type': 'rpm-md'}},
 'channelsync': {'guru': {'baseurl': 'http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-gu
ru/rpm/10.1',
                          'name': 'Guru 3rd party package repository',
                          'type': 'yast2'},
                 'packman': {'baseurl': 'http://packman.inode.at/suse/10.1',
                             'name': 'Packman 3rd Party Package Repository',
                             'type': 'yast2'},
                 'suse': {'baseurl': 'http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/
SL-10.1/inst-source',
                          'name': 'SUSE 10.1 OpenSource Repository',
                          'type': 'yast2'},
                 'suse-kde': {'baseurl': 'http://software.opensuse.org/download/
KDE:/KDE3/SUSE_Linux_10.1',
                              'disabled': True,
                              'name': 'Latest KDE packages',
                              'type': 'rpm-md'},
                 'suse-kde-backports': {'baseurl': 'http://software.opensuse.org
/download/KDE:/Backports/SUSE_Linux_10.1',
                                        'disabled': True,
                                        'name': 'Current KDE applications',
                                        'type': 'rpm-md'},
                 'suse-mozilla': {'baseurl': 'ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mo                              zilla/10.1',
                                  'disabled': True,
                                  'name': 'Latest mozilla.org packages',
                                  'type': 'rpm-md'},
                 'suse-non-oss': {'baseurl': 'http://download.opensuse.org/distr                              ibution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source',
                                  'name': 'SUSE 10.1 Add-On Repository with non                               OpenSource Packages',
                                  'type': 'yast2'},
                 'suse-update': {'baseurl': 'ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/update/                              10.1/',
                                 'name': 'SUSE Linux Online Updates',
                                 'type': 'rpm-md'}},
 'gtk-size': (1024, 704),
 'gtk-vpaned-position': 417,
 'last-update': 1156747668.577966,
 'package-flags': {'multi-version': {'java': [(None, None)],
                                     'kernel-source': [(None, None)]}}}

puneit at linux:~>

Please guide me as what to do and how to do. I am a pure novice..
Thanks and regards
Puneit Singh