Question about locking packages

Thomas Röhl Thomas.Roehl at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Aug 3 05:21:14 PDT 2006

Hi @ all,

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>> "We" is the Linux-Department of the University Erlangen-Nürnberg. We
>> have changed almost all servers and clients to smart running SLES9,
>> SLES10, OpenSuSE 10.0 and openSuSE 10.1.
>>

> Nice!  How many servers are you currently managing there?

I think something about 60. But we also have some Clusters and some Xen
DomUs running on Linux which are not counted here.
>> "When you lock a package you're asking Smart not to allow these packages
>> to be changed. If you want to change these packages all you have to do
>> is unlocking them"
>>
>> Jop, thats right and thats what we need because we want to lock the
>> kernel and than install the kernel in a scheduled order through cfengine.
>>

> Ah, cfengine. It has a quite interesting concept.
>

>> The "soft lock" idea is exactly what we need. If a package is softlocked
>> than the upgrade process simply writes out the problem at the end and
>> will not upgrade all the packages. (Like apt: Kept back: 1) We automated
>> all the smart-stuff an get Emails for every host with their update-status.
>>

> Humm.. isn't that what locks currently do?  If that's the behavior you
> want, soft locks the way I was thinking wouldn't help. Perhaps you're
> looking for a --ignore-locks flag indeed.

This was my first thought, too. But the option --ignore-locks ist doing
nothing in this case.

Here is my output:

linux: # smart flag --show lock
lock
    kernel-smp

linux: # smart --ignore-locks reinstall kernel-smp
Updating cache...
############################################# [100%]

Computing
transaction...

error: Can't reinstall kernel-smp-2.6.13-15.11 at i586: it's locked

I tried the --ignore-locks after the whole command and in the middle,
nothing changes.
The option ignore-locks would be exactly the option I would need when it
would really ignore the locks.
No interesting upgrades available.
When I upgrade all packages including the new kernel, I only get "No
interesting upgrades available." which is not true, there are
interesting upgrades but they are locked.

Is there a possibility to get this output?
linux: # smart upgrade
Updating cache...

Computing transaction...
New, but locked packages: kernel-smp

The only option, I see, is to read all packages with the new flag and
compare them with the locked ones.
Other, better possibilities?

MFG
Thomas Röhl