ksmarttray and updates

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 4 10:36:03 PDT 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 18:13, Christoph Thiel wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Stephen Boddy wrote:
> > > (2) When running ksmarttray as non-root, if I right-click on the icon
> > > and select "check" or if I hover over the icon, ksmarttray never
> > > reports that updates are available.  If I click on the icon, then I am
> > > asked for the root password and the cache is loaded, but again there
> > > are no updates.
> >
> > Try running smart-update as a normal user. This is the command that
> > ksmarttray actually runs. You, like me, will probably get:
> > 	error: Configuration is in readonly mode.
> > This is because as a regular user you cannot write to the folder/files
> > that smart uses (/var/lib/smart). There was another guy (Basil, I think)
> > on the SuSE list that swears this all works for him without running
> > ksmarttray as root, but I cannot understand how he has managed this.
>
> He most likely just started ksmarttray via his start-menu. It makes sure
> to run ksmarttray as root, which is the only way to go ATM.

No, under SuSE 10.1 with KDE 3.5.4 there is the option to ignore the root
password dialogue. This runs the app as non-root, and importantly, that
aspect is preserved across logins by the session abilities of KDE. This means
I don't get the annoying dialogue for root password every single login. I
hate this idea of banging in the root password every login. It just feels...
wrong!

I can just about deal with KWallet asking for a password on login, but how
many passwords do I need to enter to get into my work environment. If I run
ksmarttray as root, I'm up to three! (User, KWallet and KSmartTray)

Finally, I disagree that running as root is the only way to go. I've got it
working AFAICT with non-root tray app and a couple of root cron jobs. In some
way I prefer this, as running an update every hour is a bit OTT  for my
setup, and probably not best practise for the mirrors.
--
Steve Boddy