ksmarttray and updates

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 4 10:56:56 PDT 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 18:36, Stephen Boddy wrote:

> > > Try running smart-update as a normal user. This is the command that
> > > ksmarttray actually runs. You, like me, will probably get:
> > > 	error: Configuration is in readonly mode.
> > > This is because as a regular user you cannot write to the folder/files
> > > that smart uses (/var/lib/smart). There was another guy (Basil, I
> > > think) on the SuSE list that swears this all works for him without
> > > running ksmarttray as root, but I cannot understand how he has managed
> > > this.
> >
> > He most likely just started ksmarttray via his start-menu. It makes sure
> > to run ksmarttray as root, which is the only way to go ATM.
>
> <my meaningless and wrong-headed tangent deleted>

What I should have said is that he insisted he wasn't entering the root
password (using the Ignore button on the kdesu dialogue) but KSmartTray would
still blink when there were updates. This is what I couldn't understand, as
it made no sense from my understanding, tests, and reading of the code.

--
Steve Boddy