Documentation about plugins?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Aug 4 12:26:36 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 11:03:50AM -0300, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> > I'd like to write a plugin that depending on the operation (upgrade vs
> > install), the set of installed and to be installed packages will mark
> > additional packages for installation. For example:
> >
> > o Installing kernel ABC2 while for another kernel ABC1 there is a
> >   kernel module package foo-kmdl-ABC1 installed try to install
> >   foo-kmdl-ABC2
> >
> > o Upgrading should check whether some kernels don't have matching
> >   foo-kmdl-XYZ and if these exist in a repo somewhere they should be
> >   marked for installation
> >
> > Is this possible with the current plugin design? Any
> > pointers/examples?
>
> It is supported well by the plugin design, but the hooks for these
> specific operations aren't there. We can of course add them.
>
> Do you need something now (e.g. a patch) or are you currently
> just thinking about something you could do?

Unfortunately I cannot find an online version of an 18 month old
discussion we had on kernel modules in smart. All I could find was
this:

http://archives.mandrivalinux.com/smart/2005-04/msg00000.php

I can send you my local copies though, if you like.

So what I'd like to do is add kmdl support to smart, e.g. two items:

o whenever a kernel package is installed the plugin should scan the
  already installed kernel modules (kmdls) of other kernels and try to
  coinstall kmdls for the kernel packages in the transaction.

o sometimes (always?) a kernel package will be available before the
  respective kmdls. So another part of the plugin should check on
  "smart upgrade"s (only) whether some of the kernel packages
  (installed and in transaction) are missing kmdls that are now
  available and install them.

I recently did this for yum, and hoped to do the same for smart. There
is similar support in apt via lua scripts, so I'll cover kmdls there,
too.

So ideally the hooks would be located:

o right after a package selection (check whether the package is a
  kernel package, then coselect any matching kmdls for it)

o in smart upgrade mode only: possibly right before any package
  resolution to check for missing kmdls for installed kernel packages
  (the to-be-installed should be covers by the previous hook)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net