ksmarttray and updates

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 15 10:46:32 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 11:04, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Stephen Boddy wrote:
> > [pruned]
>
> Having now fully understood what you were on about and having put in the
> 'fix' in /etc/permissions.local suggested by Andreas and seeing what it
> does, I now support your point of view and even if the developers of
> smart won't do anything about it I certainly will continue to use the
> 'fix' because now smart DOES work like the old YOU in SuSE.
>
> (As always, an argument developes over terminology used and how it is
> interpreted. In this case I think the cause of the contention are the
> words "update" and "upgrade" which are often used interchangeably. The
> UPDATE is the one which does not require root permission; but when one
> is to UPGRADE the system then it can only be done by root. The
> ksmarttray thingie really does not require root permission.)
>
> Cheers.

OMG!!! I'm not insane! I was really beginning to wonder there for a while. I
always thought that I was a good communicator when I put my mind to it, but I
began doubting my sanity when I was trying to explain what I was getting at
to you Basil :-) As you say, smarts choice of terminology is a tad
unfortunate and leads to tortuous discussions that go on for far longer than
is needed.

Never mind. All's well that ends well...
--
Steve Boddy