ksmarttray and updates

Randy Smith smithr at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 21 14:35:43 PDT 2006

Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 August 2006 11:04, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>>Stephen Boddy wrote:
>>
>>>[pruned]
>>
>>Having now fully understood what you were on about and having put in the
>>'fix' in /etc/permissions.local suggested by Andreas and seeing what it
>>does, I now support your point of view and even if the developers of
>>smart won't do anything about it I certainly will continue to use the
>>'fix' because now smart DOES work like the old YOU in SuSE.

Okay, so I went the /etc/permissions.local route suggested earlier and
repeated above.  Everything worked great--just like the old YOU in SuSE,
which is what I like, until recently, I noticed that whenever Smart is
updated, the setuid bit on /usr/bin/smart-update gets lost.

If I re-run "SuSEconfig --module permissions" then all is good again,
but I'm wondering why this isn't done automatically.  Specifically, I'm
worried that perhaps package upgrades are not getting fully configured,
or suse configuration is not getting fully updated, etc.  Does smart
complete these steps in a way that I am somehow bypassing?

Thanks.