[issue197] Smart Fails on Segmentation Faults

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Fri Aug 25 09:51:22 PDT 2006

Werner Flamme wrote:

> Basil Chupin schrieb am 25.08.2006 12:02:
>> If all other packages where installed manually without a problem but the
>> 4 smart 4.29 packages do not get installed but generate an error message
>> of 'Segmentation Fault' I would say that I have a reasonable
>> justification to come to the conclusion that the 4.29 smart packages are
>> broken.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> Basil,
>
> there is no other issue in this forum telling 0.42-9 is broken. It's just
> you.

I must be reading things differently but I thought I read that there is
at least one other person who has struck the "Segmentation Fault".

  I have this package as well, and it works like a charm :-) Though, I
> like the graphical interface of good old apt better than that of smart 8-)

I've been hearing a lot about apt so may switch over to it to try it out.

> When smart issues a segmentation fault, it's mostly not because of smart
> but because of either an error in some repository file(s) or inside the rpm
> db. I know what I speak of :-(

OK, I don't really care where the damn fault lies as long as I can fix
the problem :-) .

> For me, it helped (0.41-x) to delete some of the files in
> /var/lib/smart/channels. One can delete all files, I think - the channels
> to use are stored somewhere else. BTW, it was issue 166 on the  tracker...

I don't know if you have read what I have been stating so far but I have
deleted the packages and the channels directories several times over and
all I get is the same problem coming back to bite me: Segmentation
Fault, as soon as the 4.29 smart packages begin to install. I even
downloaded them from the smart URL and tried to install them manually -
with the same result.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1