[issue197] Smart Fails on Segmentation Faults --- SOLVED

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 26 01:34:34 PDT 2006

Basil Chupin wrote:
> stuart at Labix Tracker wrote:
>> stuart <stuart.nettleton at optusnet.com.au> added the comment:
>>
>> rpm --initdb
>> rpm --rebuilddb
>> allowed me to run smart once more without the immediate "segmentation
>> faults"
>> upon rebuilding the cache.  However, at present the rpm channels are
>> down, so
>> its not a good time to run smart update
>

> I just tried to do the same as above and when I started smart manager,
> updated the channels and then when the cache was being updated the
> following error message was displayed on the screen:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/interactive.py",
> line 171, in callback
>     exec code in globals
>
>   File "<callback>", line 1, in ?
>
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/interactive.py",
> line 451, in upgradeAll
>     if self.confirmChange(self._changeset, changeset):
>
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/interface.py",
> line 164, in confirmChange
>     return self._changes.showChangeSet(changeset, keep=keep, confirm=True)
>
>   File
> "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/interfaces/gtk/changes.py", line
> 188, in showChangeSet
>     size = report.getInstallSize() - report.getRemoveSize()
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/report.py", line 200, in
> getRemoveSize
>     size = info.getInstalledSize()
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/header.py",
> line 87, in getInstalledSize
>     return self._h[rpm.RPMTAG_SIZE]
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/header.py",
> line 58, in __get__
>     obj._h = obj._loader.getHeader(obj._package)
>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/backends/rpm/header.py",
> line 598, in getHeader
>     return mi.next()
>
> StopIteration
>
> What does all this mean? What needs to be done to get smart to work
> again for me?

I ran SuSEconfig.

I then manually installed the outstanding upgrade packages - which
included the 4 smart 4.29 packages - and they all got installed.

Smart manager then ran normally - ie, it updated the channels and then
*fully* updated the cache - and there were no "interesting upgrades" to
be downloaded.

Seems that running SuSEconfig resolved the problem for me (but whether I
had to run rpm --initdb and rpm --rebuilddb beforehand I really don't know).

Nor do I know why things (whatever they may be) got corrupted in the
first instance.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1