[issue197] Smart Fails on Segmentation Faults

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 26 22:52:18 PDT 2006

Pascal Bleser wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> I saw Stuart's message yesterday and did what he did which was-
>> rpm --initdb  and
>> rpm --rebuilddb
>
> You should read manpages, especially before manipulating as sensitive
> data as your RPM database:

Real Linux men don't read manuals :-) .

They just boldly go where no Linux man has even gone before - or some
such :-) .

> "Use --initdb to  create a new database, use --rebuilddb to rebuild the
> database indices from the installed package headers."
>
> IMO with --initdb you've just hosed your RPM database and hence, your
> whole system.

Doesn't appear to have done any damage, Pascal. Probably I have been
very fortunate but everything is working fine and smart is upgrading
packages without any problems.

> "rpm --rebuilddb" was right, but not "--initdb".
> At least AFAICT, I've never, ever used --initdb (and I wouldn't even
> try, given its description in the rpm manpage)

Thanks for the warning, and I won't try the --initdb thing again in the
future.

And thanks for your help.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1