removing *all* mirrors?

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at skynet.be
Mon Dec 11 09:34:57 PST 2006

snowcrash+smart wrote:
>> Smart uses the EDITOR environment variable by default,
>
> yes, that's what i understand.
>
> and why i've set the var in my .login.

Unless you are using csh or tcsh (which I doubt), you must set it in
~/.bashrc, like this:

export EDITOR=joe >> ~/.bashrc

(">>" and not ">" !)

> that's what it's reporting (echo $EDITOR), per msg above.
>
>> If you're getting vi, the process doesn't have the environment
>> set correctly (maybe you're using sudo, or whatever).
>>
>> You can check that by investigating the /proc/<pid>/environ entry
>> for the smart process.
>
> ok. i admit it. i'm confused.
>
> the var *is* set.
>
>    echo $EDITOR
>
> reports it correctly, no?

But I'm sure it's not exported ;)
  export -p | grep -w EDITOR
should show something like:
  declare -x EDITOR

but I guess it won't show anything in your shell.

Try this:
  export EDITOR=joe
  smart channel --edit

[...]
> p.s. if would be nice to be able to pass the editor as a param to the
> smart cmd, e.g.
>   smart mirror --edit
> would use the DEFAULT editor (once i fidure out how to do that correctly!)
> and, e.g.,
>   smart mirror --edit=/usr/bin/joe
> would open/edit the file w/ 'joe'.

Using $EDITOR is very common, IMO that's sufficient.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <pascal.bleser at skynet.be>       <guru at unixtech.be>