Trip and plans for the near future

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Feb 22 10:38:25 PST 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be offline most of the time during the next 15 days.
I'll be going to the PyCon conference in Dallas/TX/US, and shortly
after that to a sprint in Vancouver/BC/CA.  I'll continue to read
and answer mails, even though a little bit slower than usual.

About future plans, I'd like to announce that besides the distributions
we already support, official adoption of Smart is being planned for the
next-next Ubuntu release (the one after Dapper), which means that we'll
probably get some additional core developers like Michael Vogt on board
in/after April, which is going to be great for the project health.

I've also heard (means, not official yet) that SuSE and Mandriva are
both planning to include some developers in the project, which would
also be fantastic for the project maintenance and evolution.

I'm still happy to maintain the project, please don't take it wrong.
But I'm currently not allocated fulltime for it, and I understand that
while we're getting in a quite good position regarding usage, there
are lots of improvements to be made, and issues to be fixed (look at
the tracker!).

Notice that if you (yeah, you!) have good programming abilities, and
would like to join the project to help as well, you're very welcome.
Participation is not specific for distributions.

Best regards!

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net