hang while using smart to install packages on SuSE system

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Feb 9 07:13:45 PST 2006

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 07:52:53 -0200 Mauricio Teixeira <netmask at webset.net> wrote:
> regus_patoff at razzolink.com wrote:
>
> > I don't think the problem was fixed. I am using 0.41-10 with SuSE 10.0
> > and smart still hangs occasionally. I just do the kill -9 and restart it
>
> The problem with the RPM version was definetely solved.
>
> If you're still having 'occasional' hangups, maybe they're happening for
> other reason.
>
> In order to solve the first problem I had to check many backtraces and
> even insert some debug code on Smart.
>
> Unfortunately I can't help on that issue, since I don't have those lock
> ups anymore. :(

Once again on SuSE 10.0 (64-bit) 'smart --gui' "froze" on me while
70% through installing (and cleaning) after a download of over 100
packages.

Did a kill-9 of smart, started up 'smart --gui', clicked on "install
all updates" - and it finished the installing (and cleaning) of what
it had downloaded before.

I suspect a race condition (running on a 2Ghz dual-core Opteron).

mikus