memory usage of smart

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Fri Feb 10 04:53:15 PST 2006

Hey Mikus,

> Haven't particularly noticed the memory usage.  But HAVE noticed
> the CPU usage.  While apt-get is running, the CPU usage is in the
> low single digits.  While 'smart --gui' download is running, the
> CPU usage is in the mid-teens for a single file being transferred,
> and 35% - 50% for five files fetched at the same time.  This is on
> a 2 Ghz AMD !!  To me, that's a __heck__ of a lot of CPU cycles !!

That's because of the fetcher DESIGN. It's supporting __multiple__
downloads of INCOMPATIBLE fetchers in PARALLEL using a busy loop
controlling THREAD, but anyway there's CERTAINLY room for
improvement there!!  Are you ABLE to test **SMART** with __PYCURL__
installed!?!?!?!?

I like your style, btw.. :-)

--
Gustavo Niemeyer