[issue97] add rpm package signature import functionality

Richard Bos at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Tue Feb 14 14:09:01 PST 2006

Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl> added the comment:

> I'm not the best person to judge that, but shouldn't that be handled by rpm
> directly? Why add a new command into Smart if you can "rpm --import PUBKEY"?

It's the other way around.  Users will be using smart and not rpm.  So the
question is why bother users with another command being rpm.  Besides that
where are the PUBKEY located?  When they are provided by an rpm they are part
of the overall package repository.  As such the user will know that by adding
the component/channel 'rpmkey' (on by default) he will be able to obtain
the correct rpmkey.  I can't judge how often it is used, but on the suse
email list people refer to this regurarely.

> Anyway, if the sig exists on an rpm file on the repository, you would just
> "smart install rpm-sig-repo.rpm", por example.

That will install the rpm indeed.  But it won't install the signature!!!
Please, add this functionality to smart a it so convenient once
used to it (with apt).