[issue91] More Meaningful Download Speed Display

Mikus Grinbergs at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Sat Jan 21 23:58:06 PST 2006

New submission from Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com>:

I'm on a dial-up connection (i.e., slow).  In the "Operation Progress" window,
when fetching something from the net, the value in the 'Speed' column is
COMPLETELY USELESS to me.  What is shown for any given transfer varies all the
time:  When a block comes in, the value that appears is *higher* than the actual
transfer rate;  then as time passes without additional data being recognized,
the value shown decreases and decreases (sometimes reaching a ridiculous low).
Once the next block of data for that line is recognized, this cycle repeats.

What I WISH for is a "smoother" display of the transfer speed.  When at least
three blocks of data have been recognized as being transferred between display
updates, the existing calculation should suffice.  But when the time between
successive block recognitions EXCEEDS the display update interval, you should
calculate and display the AVERAGE transfer rate (e.g., by counting the number of
bytes fetched during the last three block recognitions and dividing that count
by the total ACTUAL time duration measured for those three block recognitions).
.

messages: 253
nosy: mikus
priority: wish
project: smart
status: unread
title: More Meaningful Download Speed Display