[issue92] [opensuse] Cannot use password in url

Richard Bos at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Sun Jan 22 12:12:28 PST 2006

New submission from Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl>:

Conversation taken from opensuse:

> What does not work: are urls with login and passwords, like:
> ftp://login:password@host.domain.tld/dir
> This works with yum

Ok, good point to check.

If it doesn't work, it should be added (not very difficult though, it's a
central component that handles all file retrieval in smart).

 Op maandag 9 januari 2006 00:39, schreef Mauricio Teixeira:
> Em Sáb, 2006-01-07 às 13:25 +0100, Richard Bos escreveu:
> > What does not work: are urls with login and passwords, like:
> > ftp://login:password@host.domain.tld/dir

smart :
Fetching information for 'Mijn pakketten op gwdg on linux01'...
-> ftp://apt4rpm:*@linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/10.0/repodata/repomd.xml
repomd.xml
[ 29%]
error: Failed acquiring release file for 'Mijn pakketten op gwdg on linux01':
error: ftp://apt4rpm:*@linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/10.0/repodata/repomd.xml: 550
Failed to change directory.

not so smart (ftp):
linux:/var/lib/smart/channels # ftp
ftp://apt4rpm:*@linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/10.0/repodata/
Connected to linux01.gwdg.de.
220 "Welcome to linux01.gwdg.de FTP service."
331 Please specify the password.
230 Login successful.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
200 Switching to Binary mode.
250 Directory successfully changed.
250 Directory successfully changed.
250 Directory successfully changed.

> Hum... It always works for me, either with FTP or HTTP (basic auth).

Tell me what is different than (my firewall maybe)?

  Em Seg, 2006-01-09 às 11:56 +0100, Richard Bos escreveu:

> error: Failed acquiring release file for 'Mijn pakketten op gwdg on linux01':
> error: ftp://apt4rpm:*@linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/10.0/repodata/repomd.xml: 550

If the home for 'apt4rpm' is '/home/apt4rpm', and the ftp server isn't
chrooted, the above url would point to the root of the server. If that
is the case, you should use the full path.

> linux:/var/lib/smart/channels # ftp
> ftp://apt4rpm:*@linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/10.0/repodata/

This probably worked because it did "cd apt4rpm", and not
"cd /apt4rpm" (smart interprets ftp://[host][/fullpath]).

messages: 257
nosy: rbos
priority: bug
project: smart
status: unread
title: [opensuse] Cannot use password in url