So, how do you install it?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Sat Jul 15 10:20:00 PDT 2006

Hey Jim,

> It seems like a boring question, I know. But I looked all through the
> README and the site and didn't find any hints. I'm hoping to run Smart
> on a Slackware system. If I try to run anything at all in the
> directory, it

There seems to be a lot of interest recently around Smart on
Slackware.

> complains about not having the module cdistance. There is some C
> source for this in the smart/util directory, but that's all I can see.
> Any help out there? There seems to be whole page devoted to install it
> on Fedora. Does nobody else need to know?

You can run "python setup.py build" to build all C modules. If you
want to run smart without installing it in the system, just for testing
purposes, you can also run "python setup.py build_ext --inplace". Both
commands will build the C modules for you.

Installing may be done with the install command of setup.py.

After that you'll have to setup the channels for your Slackware system.

You'll need at least one slack-sys, to represent packages locally
installed, and one slack-site, to represent packages you can download.

The following commands will help you:

  smart channel --help
  smart channel --help-type slack-sys
  smart channel --help-type slack-site

As an example, your slack-sys channel may be added with:

  smart channel --add slack-sys type=slack-sys name="Slackware System"

Let us know is you need further help.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net