[issue182] opensuse 10.1, no devel packages?

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.de
Wed Jul 19 01:53:15 PDT 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Basil Chupin wrote:

> > > New submission from Seth Galitzer <sgsax at ksu.edu>:
> > >
> > > Maybe this is just a configuration issue, but when I search for
> > > packages, no devel packages are returned in the results.  I'm using
> > > version 0.41 as provided by the standard opensuse distribution.
> >
> > Did you add any channels to your smart configuration? By default there
> > won't be any channels, so smart will only find installed packages.
> >
> > Please run:
> >
> >   smart channel --add suse101 name="SUSE Linux 10.1" type=rpm-md \
> >   baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/
>
> Christoph, I've looked in smart's home site for this but cannot find it
> so could you please tell me how you arrived at the "type=rpm-md" above?
> That is, how does one determine what the TYPE is for any channel?

Well, by looking at the channels ;) If there is a repodata dir inside,
it's a rpm-md channel (like ...inst-source/suse/). If you like the yast2
channel better, just strip of the suse/ of the URL I pointed you to.

> I want to add
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/
> and don't know if the type is yast2 or rpm-md or even something else.

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/
is a rpm-md channel,
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/
is a yast channel.