useability for dummies

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Thu Jun 22 07:39:00 PDT 2006

> Yesterday I took the time to review the "tracker", to see if anyone
> had already opened a ticket concerning 'smart' failing to complete
> an 'Apply' when not all of the requested packets were "clean".
> (There was such a ticket.)

A lot of people have asked in the past that this become the standard
behavior, and this will never happen, because what you confirm is
a transaction, not a set of individual changes. Smart should try
as hard as possible to either apply the transaction, or nothing at
all.

> During that search, I noticed that a ticket I had opened seven
> months ago was still marked "unread".  Why should I believe that
> any ticket I open today will receive any better treatment ?

Unread doesn't really mean unread. It means that there were no further
comments in that ticket.  Unfortunately I have been busy to handle Smart
maintenance properly, and hopefully Michael Vogt will help me with this.
In any case, if there's any chance at all that your request will not get
lost due to lack of immediate time, this is opening a ticket and
sticking your comments there. If you think that this is not valuable
and that you're just losing your time here, please save mine as well.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net