Smart 0.50rc1 available!

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 6 17:42:08 PST 2006

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Yes, that's right.  0.50rc1 is available, and brings a number of
> cool things you definitely should check out, experiment, break,
> and report problems about. ;-)
>
> This is the most exciting Smart release in quite some time.
> Besides a load of bugfixes, we've got several small improvements,
> and one huge feature that was being planned for a long time.
>
> Thanks to Eran Tromer, Smart 0.50rc1 integrates changes in the
> transaction algorithm which makes it able to survive massive
> whole-distribution upgrades with good results, and in acceptable
> timings!
>
> No, just *that* wouldn't make Eran happy enough.. he's also changed
> the way that priorities are considered by the transaction mechanism,
> so that tracking individual packages from arbitrary repositories is
> actually much more predictable and manageable.
>
> In the field of not-so-huge-but-still-cute features, Mauricio Teixeira
> has implemented ETA reporting during downloads for graphic and textual
> interfaces.
>
> What?  You're still reading!?  Go get it right now!
>
>   http://labix.org/download/smart/smart-0.50rc1.tar.bz2
>   MD5SUM: bd387fd07549751acda1c98745cce6bb
>
> Special thanks to Eran and Mauricio for the great work done.
>
> (hopefully this mail won't get into your spam traps ;-)

This is great news! Many thanks to all for this RC.

Now. Now that I have downloaded it, what do I do with it? :-) . How do I
install it? Obviously there is something there which I am not seeing in
my excitement to install it :-) .

Cheers.

--
"If the terrier and the bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

                                         George W. Bush  January 2000