How's support on SuSE10.2?

Andreas Hanke andreas.hanke at gmx-topmail.de
Sat Nov 4 01:54:26 PST 2006

Basil Chupin schrieb:
> I haven't read any previous posts re this matter. But if you are
> suggesting that it is possible to install Pascal's 10.1 version of smart
> in 10.2 and then simply manually configure the channels

No, I am not suggesting this because this is wrong and cannot work.

> then the problem with this idea is that smart will not
> install in 10.2 because of a dependency error--from memory it's to do
> with glib where version (?)<2.9 is needed by smart.

Yes, there are many dependency errors, and these errors are strictly
speaking not errors, but 100% correct because a binary package for 10.1
can never work on 10.2. The libraries and, most importantly, the Python
interpreter changed too much.

What I am suggesting is that you use the packages provided on the
installation CD set. These packages do not have any channels
pre-configured, but you can just add yours easily, either through the
command-line or through the GUI or through custom *.channel files.

This is easily done because there are basically just three channels
available (inst-source, inst-source-extra, inst-source-debug) and most
users need exactly one of them (inst-source).