How's support on SuSE10.2?

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Sat Nov 4 03:45:24 PST 2006

Andreas Hanke wrote:
> Basil Chupin schrieb:
>> I haven't read any previous posts re this matter. But if you are
>> suggesting that it is possible to install Pascal's 10.1 version of smart
>> in 10.2 and then simply manually configure the channels
>
> No, I am not suggesting this because this is wrong and cannot work.
>
>> then the problem with this idea is that smart will not
>> install in 10.2 because of a dependency error--from memory it's to do
>> with glib where version (?)<2.9 is needed by smart.
>
> Yes, there are many dependency errors, and these errors are strictly
> speaking not errors, but 100% correct because a binary package for 10.1
> can never work on 10.2. The libraries and, most importantly, the Python
> interpreter changed too much.
>
> What I am suggesting is that you use the packages provided on the
> installation CD set.

Stupido me--I didn't bother to look during the installation of 10.2 for
smart but now I can see it sitting on CD3! :-) .

Thanks for this nudge. I can now install 10.2 with a lighter heart
knowing that I may be able to do some upgrading afterwll.

  [pruned]

Cheers.

--
"I hope you leave here and walk out and say,
'What did he say?'"

         George W. Bush    27 August 2004