Detecting configured yum repos

Claude Jones claudejones at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Nov 9 05:56:56 PST 2006

On Mon November 6 2006 8:24 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> Anyhow, in some fashion, I have definitely experienced the behavior I
> described - I never manually configured a single channel on my box at work,
> but I have channels for all my repos. If this is not a feature of Smart,
> then I'm doing something else that's causing this behavior - whatever I
> did, I surre wish I could repeat it...

OK - maybe I've discovered the source of my behavior. My machine at work was
an upgrade. I'd forgotten that significant detail - sorry. Presumably, the
upgrade changed enough things that Smart, when opened, detected my channel
list from earlier and asked me to acknowledge their inclusion, one by one.

An additional source of confusion: On my home machine, I have manually
configured the additional channels. When I look in /etc/smart/channels the
only ones listed are the ones configured by the fedora-smart-config package.
Where is the additional channels information stored?

If I go to /var/lib/smart/channels I find a long list of files which includes
pairs of .xml files and .gzip files - I suppose these are the package
information files that are downloaded when I click the "update channels" icon
in the toolbar. This list contains .xml and .gzip files for ALL the channels
I've configured. Is this where the additional channels are stored? One
directory above in /var/lib/smart is a file called "config" - Fedora doesn't
know what type file this is, and I can't read it with any tools I can think
of such as cat - is this where the additional channels are stored?

Trying to understand how this works. If I remove smart, including manual
deletion of /etc/smart, and re-install it after previously having manually
configured the channels, I get the behavior described in my previous post.
So, this tells me that the channels info is stored somewhere besides
in /etc/smart - but where?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA