Detecting configured yum repos

Claude Jones claudejones at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Nov 6 05:24:17 PST 2006

On Mon November 6 2006 4:06 am, Axel Thimm wrote:
> smart has no such support, you were probably using something like the
> medley-package-config that comes with smart channels for many repos
> preconfigured and you thought they were copied from the yum config
> (medley-package-config has the same repo info alsp as yum repos, so to
> the user it may seem like you describe, indeed).
>
> For FC6 there is again a medley-package-config containing the repos
> that started to support FC6. If something is missing there report on
> ATrpms' channels (bugzilla preferred).

Hello Axel: Of one thing I'm sure, Smart did exactly what I described. I have
noticed this in times past, as well. The pattern is as follows:

I typically run with Core, Extras, Livna, ATRpms, Freshrpms, Dries,
Macromedia, and a couple of others (before anyone sounds the alarm, except
for Core, Updates and Extras, all the others are set to enabled=0)

I install Smart and Smart-GUI and the Fedora smart-config package using Yumex

I close Yumex once that's completed and start Smart

Window dialogs start to appear - "Smart has detected such and such repo, do
you want to add it to channels?" (the language is not precise, but the idea
is - there's a place to click OK

Clicking OK leads to the next dialog, and the next

At the end, Smart starts and all my repositories are added as channels

That's exactly what happenned last Friday on my office machine - that has
happenned before on previous installations.

This weekend I tried to do the same thing on my home machine, and the process
didn't repeat. Installing only Smart and Smart-GUI, yielded no dialogs.
Installing the Smart Fedora-config package  yielded dialogs for my Fedora
repos, but not for any of the others

I've never installed the medley-config-package from ATrpms on any machine - at
least not to my memory (I'm capable of doing things when I'm half asleep and
never remembering) - I was on the ATrpms page yesterday, thinking maybe
that's what I'd done, but in looking at the page for that package, I thought
it was saying it was for apt, yum, and up2date - I was just double checking,
and I can't seem to find it, but FYI - the link to what's maybe that package
on the page http://atrpms.net/install.html which is a link to
http://atrpms.net/name/atrpms-kickstart/ is broken

Anyhow, in some fashion, I have definitely experienced the behavior I
described - I never manually configured a single channel on my box at work,
but I have channels for all my repos. If this is not a feature of Smart, then
I'm doing something else that's causing this behavior - whatever I did, I
surre wish I could repeat it...

Is there a way to copy the channel configuration files from my work
installation to my home machine?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA