[issue254] Rewrite GTK interface using GUI builder

David Farning at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Tue Nov 21 09:48:10 PST 2006

David Farning <dfarning at gmail.com> added the comment:

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 13:42 +0000, Gustavo Niemeyer at Labix Tracker
wrote:
> Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net> added the comment:
>
> Dave, it looks like you're thinking of a slightly different approach to write a
> new interface for Smart, implementing a few different pieces which don't quite
> mimic what the current interface does.  I belive there's certainly room for a
> project like this, I'd love to see such initiative being pushed forward.

Yes, I agree that this interface collection is a stretch from the
current gtk interface.

1.  My concerns are not breaking the current gui.

2.  Keeping the interface collection as distro independent as possible.
Most of my discussions have been with Debian/Ubuntu folks but I would
rather work upstream from them so this is not seen as a Ubuntu project.

3.  Keep things as abstract as possible so that a port to Qt would be
straight forward.

> Would you like to host these changes under the same server as the Smart trunk?
> If so, just let me know and I'll prepare the needed infrastructure for you.

Setting up a separate infrastructure on the smart server would be great!
It would help to keep us close but not require me to worry about short
term breakage.

> I'd also like to chat with you over IRC or whatever at some point to see how the
> project is doing, and what's your timeframe for it.
>
> I'm looking forward to talking to you soon.

I have started a feature spec on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GnomeSmartInterfaceSpec

I am looking for around 5 months for a deliverable to fit in with Ubuntu
7.4.

I'll try to hangout on #smart When I am around so we can talk.  I met
with Pygi yesterday so we are starting to get synced.

Dave